Custom Printing Terms & Conditions
The Cape Art Company and any prospective Designers or Artists (hereafter referred to as Designer) enter an arrangement for custom printed products under the following terms:
1. GUIDELINES AND PROCEDURE FOR PLACING A PRINT ORDER:
The Designer will give printable art for every order placed to The Company in the following formats:
JPEG files that are pre-sized for each chosen product according to the bleed/print sizes supplied on the price list. (PDF files sent will incur a design fee for time spent to convert them to JPEG images – hourly design fee stipulated on the price list.)
The desired dpi (dots per inch) for printable designs is 300 dpi. We can work with 150 – 300 dpi for certain products. Lower than 150 dpi is unacceptable. A cell phone image is normally 72 dpi (unless you can set it). Changing it to 300 dpi on Photoshop improves the quality a little, but not the number of dots per inch. You can specify the needed dpi when you have artwork digitized. Dpi is more important than MB (megabytes).
The ideal size or MB per design is roughly 25 MB, give or take either way. Too high and the printers’ software will not open the file. Too low and the quality is bad.
Each product ordered must have its own sized file named according to the product and numbered to differentiate between different designs, e.g. Bathmat 1 or Kitchen mat 2 or Runner 3, etc.
The Designer will send their order to email@example.com per email: first stating product, size, file name and quantity of each product being ordered.
The email order must be followed by WeTransfer files (one WeTransfer with different product files or multiple WeTransfer’s) with the prepared print files needed to fulfil the order. Do not send WeTransfer’s with the order numbers on only – these expire and after downloading them they are deleted. The actual order must be accompanied by an email that can be printed for reference and records.
Print files sent for orders will be checked by our designer prior to printing. Any designs that are not sized or unfit for printing will be sent back for sizing or you can opt to have it sized and The Company will charge an hourly design fee. These fees will be included on your invoice.
The Company will no longer keep a library of individual custom printing clients’ print files. The data-handling and storage is time-consuming and becoming a risk with our growth in clients. A lot of mistakes happen due to duplicate/changed designs. Keeping track of the number of designs and putting together print orders from hundreds of designs for the number of custom-printing clients have become problematic and is adding to lead times and productivity.
The onus and responsibility in future will be on the designer/artist to send the print files with each order. (Your current print files that we have in our library will be sent to you on request. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org should you require the files we have on file.)
The Company will not refer to every clients’ product catalogue or keep it on file as reference for products ordered. The Designer needs to check that their designs correspond with their catalogue.
2. COPYRIGHT: The Designer reserves the copyright in terms of the Copyright Act 98 of 1978 to all art created by The Designer and sent to The Company, including all reproduction rights. The Designer will stipulate, in writing, should they choose to withdraw their designs from reproduction or supply.
3. The Designer will approve sample prints of any new design prior to it going into production to ensure that colour variations are picked up prior to processing orders. Please note: colour variations do occur between different print orders and printers. Every care is taken to use the same printer for the same designer, but if printers are down for a period and an alternative printer is used with compatible profiles, there can still be slight colour differences.
4. PRICING: The Designer must work out their own price ranges.
5. SHIPMENT: The Company encourages Designers to make use of their own courier services to collect and deliver stock, at their own cost. In the case where this is not possible, The Company will ensure safe delivery/shipment of the products with a courier of our choice and insurance of the products during such shipment. The Designer will be invoiced for any courier cost incurred by The Company to deliver their goods. Wholesalers can also collect their stock at The Company’s premises.
6. QA: The Company will adhere to a quality assurance system to guarantee excellent quality home décor products being supplied to our customers.
7. COMMUNICATION: Our preferred method of communication is via email since we can then have a record of orders and instructions. Whatsapp messages should be used to sort our quick issues like transport or quick questions only. NO ORDERS OR CHANGES TO ORDERS MUST BE COMMUNICATED VIA WHATSAPP. Whatsapp communication is applicable during trading hours and we implore you to respect personal time after hours.
1. Due to the nature of sublimation and UV printing, there is a 5-7% incidence of rejects/misprints in some print-runs. These products will be redistributed to our factory shop outlet to recover our raw material cost. These products will not be redistributed to Wholesale customers. The Company will remove all labelling on such products, and no referral to the designer will be visible on the product unless it is part of the print design.
2. Should you not agree to give us permission to re-distribute any defective printing to our factory shop, you will have to agree to pay for any defective products at no more than 50% of the wholesale price that you can then re-distribute at your own discretion. Prices will be determined according to the raw material cost of the products we use to print on.
3.RETURN POLICY: The Designer will inform The Company of any defective/unsatisfactory products within 7 working days and return such products to The Company within 14 working days from receipt in the exact condition they received it. Any writing, marking or damage on the products will nullify The Designer’s claim for defect and The Designer will not be credited for such returned products. The Company will investigate and replace reasonable claims at their cost.
4.The company has no obligation to accept returned goods outside of this 14-day period and products sent back with no explanation or discussion will be returned to the sender.
5. All effort will be made to accommodate any specific printing/design requests from The Designer, if it is reasonable and achievable and ensures that the common goal of supplying quality products to the public is adhered to.
6. The Designer indemnifies The Company against any third-party claims for infringement of copyright and warrant that all products given to The Company are original work done by The Designer.
7. In the case of the use of stock-photography, The Designer will make sure and can be asked for proof of extended licenses bought on such stock. The Company shall not be held liable for legal issues about this since the copyright lies with The Designer. Any legality arising in this regard, will be referred to The Designer directly, and printing of products with the involved design would stop at once.
1. The Company will work on an ex-works payment system only. This implies that any custom-design print work requires a deposit of 50% upon placement of an order, prior to the order being executed. A pro-forma invoice will be sent after placement of such order. The invoiced amount must be settled prior to the completed products being shipped from The Company. Proof of Payment should be e-mailed prior to collecting or shipping of such products. All payments to be done via EFT or our card facilities on the premises.
2. Currently, due to the Covid pandemic and the expense involved in importing our raw materials, we can unfortunately not extend discounts or terms. You do have our commitment to keep our pricing low and competitive.
LOSS/DAMAGE OF SHIPPED PRODUCTS
1. The Company is not liable for any loss/damages incurred by the courier companies used. The Designer is responsible for claiming for such loss/damage from the courier company themselves. Only if The Company use their own courier company will they implement their own claim, and will The Designer receive a credit note or replacement stock for the lost/damaged stock.
Exclusivity in terms of supply, products or design themes cannot be guaranteed, but The Company will inform The Designer if any of their work overlaps that of another designer/artist that we supply.